EUROPEAN LARGE TELESCOPE
These pages are a collection of ongoing work towards the science case
for an Extremely Large Telescope (ELT). The goal of this work is to
identify key science drivers for the ELT, and develop the case
sufficiently (through detailed calculations and simulations) to be
able to drive the design of such a telescope.
NEW! -- Travel funding opportunity :
Promoting the European ELT at scientific conferences
-- Please see the advertisement
THE EUROPEAN ELT SCIENCE WORKING GROUP
Development of the ELT science case in Europe is now coordinated by
the ESO-OPTICON ELT Science Working Group. Please see the
European ELT SWG Public pages
Several documents were produced describing the science case for a
Click HERE for a summary of selected ELT science highlights for a 50-100m telescope
Click on the images below to download PDF files of the documents.
| Executive Summary || Full Science Case |
Previous versions and other science case documents include the following:
Science Cases for other ELT projects are also publically available:
- Full Science Case Version 1,
written by the OPTICON ELT SWG (Apr 2005).
- Top-level Brochure
summarising the science case highlights (Feb 2005)
- Documents from Leiden 2001 OPTICON workshop on science with ELTs
- The Euro-50 Book contains a science case section for a 50m telescope
- "Highlights from the Science case for a 50-100m Extremely Large Telecope" Presentation and paper given on behalf of the OPTICON ELT science Working Group at the Glasgow SPIE
conference, June 2004
- Click here for a summary of
design requirements derived from the science case.
- Click here for a list of people involved and their e-mail addresses
OTHER RELEVANT LINKS
Background image: Derived from WMAP measurements of fluctuations in the microwave background
Last modified by:
23 Oct 2006 .